Meet the Remarkable Dentists of Dentistry of Sugar Hill
Dr. Zachary Powell: CEO and Owner
Dr. Powell currently holds the position of CEO as well as dentist for a multi-location model that serves the Georgia region with locations in Alma, St Simons Island, Sugar Hill and Athens. He is one of the most serving dentists in Georgia, specializing in comprehensive, implant and family dentistry. He has been in private practice for 18 years and enjoys treating patients of all ages and all walks of life throughout the state of Georgia. In addition to practicing dentistry, Dr. Powell is also a dental and business consultant throughout the state, with extensive experience in medical/dental offices and real estate development. He has nearly 20 years of leadership experience in both a professional and civic capacity and has held positions at the local, state and national levels. Dr. Powell is committed to ethics, patient advocacy and grassroots-organized dentistry.
Dr. Powell graduated with bachelor’s degrees in biology and zoology before acquiring his D.M.D. degree from the Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry. He later returned to dental school to complete a surgical implant rotation.
Dr. Powell is very active in local, regional, state and national dental associations and has been recognized with awards for his leadership and expertise.
- 2011 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Surgical Implant Rotation
- 1999 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, DMD
- 1993 University of Georgia, BS Biology
- 1992 University of Georgia, BS Zoology
- Present – Owner , Sugar Hill Dentistry, Buford , GA
- 2013-Present – Owner, Alma Family Dentistry, Alma, GA
- Present- Owner, Dentistry in Redfern, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Present – Partner, Medicus LLC, Cumming, GA
- Previous Positions Held:
- Partner, Madison Dental Group, Madison, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Cumming, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Dacula, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Lawrenceville, GA
- Former Associate, Dr. James R. (Jim Bob) Williamson, Lilburn, GA
- Former Pathologist Assistant, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
Awards & Memberships
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Georgia Dental Association
- Recipient, Pierre Fauchard Scholarship, Medical College of Georgia
- Member, Magill Society, The Georgia Bulldog Club, University of Georgia
- Member, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Southeastern District)
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Northern District)
- Member, American Dental Association
- Member, Hinman Dental Society
- Member, Academy of General Dentistry
- Southeast Georgia Chairman, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Southeastern District Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- President, Glynn County Dental Society
- Reserve Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- Alternate Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- Auxiliary Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- 2007 Training Participant, Georgia Dental Association Spokesperson
Civic & Business Experience
- Board of Directors, Frederica Academy, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Board of Directors, Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia
- Give Back a Smile Program for domestic violence, AACD for Georgia
- Advisory Board, Affinity Bank, Atlanta, GA
- Board of Directors, YMCA, Forsyth County
- International Service Chairman, Rotary Club of Forsyth County
Dr. George E. Kirtley: Chief Dental Director
National and international leader and expert in cosmetic dentistry
Dr. Kirtley has been involved in the field of cosmetic dentistry since 1985 and has positioned himself as a leader nationally and internationally through teaching, lecturing and providing the beautiful smiles seen on patients throughout the United States and Europe.
Dr. Kirtley has experienced many career highlights. Here is a brief summary of points of professional distinction:
- *Accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- *Accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- *Accredited by the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- *One of only 3 dentists worldwide to be accredited both in the United States and Europe
*Accreditation is one of the highest standards of achievement and exclusive honors in the art and science of cosmetic dentistry. It is awarded to only those dentists who complete rigorous training and testing. Click here to learn about accreditation.
- International aesthetic lecturer
- Contributor and author in numerous academic journals/publications.
- Designer of Award winning software, Envision a Smile. Used by dentists in 16 different countries throughout the world.
Dr. Kirtley is a part of the world’s leading cosmetic teaching institution, The Aesthetic Advantage. It is located at the prestigious Rosenthal Institute in New York City. Dr. Kirtley’s teaching/lecturing has taken him to London, Paris, Stockholm and throughout the United States as guest of the cosmetic dental societies in these areas.
A native of Indiana, Dr. Kirtley proudly completed his Doctorate in Dental Science at Indiana University.
Employment History Academic Position:
- Chief Clinical Strategist and Smile Design Specialist for BDD,LLC
- Formerly, Director/Founder of Midwest Center for Advanced Dental Education (MCADE)
- New York University Continuing Dental Education, NYC.
- Dentist Private Practice, 1980 to present
- Academic Positions: Faculty for Externship Program for Indiana University School of Dentistry
- Senior Clinical Instructor for the New York, London & Palm Beach Aesthetic Advantage (Private teaching organization), 1996 to present
Education and Licensing:
- Indiana University, Bloomington Indiana 1969 – 1973. Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, Indiana. 1974 – 1978. Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree
Professional Qualifications and Memberships:
Certifications and Accreditations:
- Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree, 1978.
- Graduate of Midwest Institute of Implantology, 1987
- Accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 2000.*
- Accredited by the British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, 2007.*
- Member of Prestigious American Society for Dental Aesthetics, 2010
*presently one of only two dentists worldwide to have dual accreditation distinctionEuropean Society of Cosmetic Dentistry
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Academy of General Dentistry
- American Society for Dental Aesthetics
- European Society of Cosmetic Dentistry
Dentistry Today, Contemporary Esthetics, Inside Dentistry, Private Dentistry (UK), Implant and Aesthetic Dentistry (UK), Compendium, PP&D.
Dr. James E. Carter, IV
Dr. Carter is a general dentist with 30 years of experience. He has been practicing general dentistry in the Atlanta area since 1994, and has been a member of the Sugar Hill community since 2012. He has enjoyed being a member of the community because of its friendliness. Dr. Carter was drawn to dentistry because of his desire to impact the lives of people and be able to see immediate results from his efforts. He especially enjoys working with his patients to create beautiful smiles through a combination of state-of-the-art technique and an eye for aesthetics. Dr. Carter believes that dentistry is equal parts art and science and approaches each case with an appreciation for both. Dr. Carter says, “I enjoy designing smiles and restoring their functionality.” He also believes that every patient deserves his absolute best efforts.
Dr. Carter studied biology at Morehouse College before earning his bachelor’s degree in biology from Paine College in Augusta. He graduated from Medical College of Georgia, earning his D.M.D. degree. Dr. Carter has extensive experience operating large dental practices throughout the state of Georgia.
When Dr. Carter is not transforming smiles, he is travelling with his wife of 29 years and their two sons. His favorite place to be is on a white sandy beach listening to live music, eating good food. Dr. Carter also enjoys impacting young lives with his knowledge and experience through mentoring.
Schedule an Appointment at Dentistry of Sugar Hill
If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of the dentists at Dentistry of Sugar Hill, please call or email our practice today.