Meet our Sugar Hill Dental Experts
Dr. Zachary Powell
Dr. Zachary Powell is the CEO and owner of Dentistry of Sugar Hill, as well as the leading dentist for a multi-location model that provides dental care throughout Georgia. Dr. Powell practices at locations in Sugar Hill, Athens, Alma and St Simons Island, providing patients of all ages with comprehensive dentistry. He has been in private practice for 18 years and enjoys treating patients of all ages and all walks of life throughout the state of Georgia. In addition to practicing dentistry, Dr. Powell is also a dental and business consultant throughout the state, with extensive experience in medical/dental offices and real estate development. He has nearly 20 years of leadership experience in both a professional and civic capacity and has held positions at the local, state and national levels. Dr. Powell is committed to ethics, patient advocacy and grassroots-organized dentistry.
Dr. Powell graduated with bachelor’s degrees in biology and zoology before acquiring his D.M.D. degree from the Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry. He later returned to dental school to complete a surgical implant rotation.
Dr. Powell is very active in local, regional, state and national dental associations and has been recognized with awards for his leadership and expertise.
- 2011 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Surgical Implant Rotation
- 1999 Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, DMD
- 1993 University of Georgia, BS Biology
- 1992 University of Georgia, BS Zoology
- Present – Owner , Sugar Hill Dentistry, Buford , GA
- 2013-Present – Owner, Alma Family Dentistry, Alma, GA
- Present- Owner, Dentistry in Redfern, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Present – Partner, Medicus LLC, Cumming, GA
- Previous Positions Held:
- Partner, Madison Dental Group, Madison, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Cumming, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Dacula, GA
- Former Owner, Powell Family Dentistry, Lawrenceville, GA
- Former Associate, Dr. James R. (Jim Bob) Williamson, Lilburn, GA
- Former Pathologist Assistant, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
Awards & Memberships
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Recipient, Honorary Fellow, bestowed by the Georgia Dental Association
- Recipient, Pierre Fauchard Scholarship, Medical College of Georgia
- Member, Magill Society, The Georgia Bulldog Club, University of Georgia
- Member, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Southeastern District)
- Member, Georgia Dental Association (Northern District)
- Member, American Dental Association
- Member, Hinman Dental Society
- Member, Academy of General Dentistry
- Southeast Georgia Chairman, Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Southeastern District Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- President, Glynn County Dental Society
- Reserve Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- Alternate Delegate, Georgia Dental Association
- Auxiliary Chairman, Thomas P. Hinman Dental Meeting
- 2007 Training Participant, Georgia Dental Association Spokesperson
Civic & Business Experience
- Board of Directors, Frederica Academy, Saint Simons Island, GA
- Board of Directors, Humane Society of South Coastal Georgia
- Give Back a Smile Program for domestic violence, AACD for Georgia
- Advisory Board, Affinity Bank, Atlanta, GA
- Board of Directors, YMCA, Forsyth County
- International Service Chairman, Rotary Club of Forsyth County
Dr. James E. Carter, IV
Dr. Carter is a general dentist with 30 years of experience. He has been practicing general dentistry in the Atlanta area since 1994, and has been a member of the Sugar Hill community since 2012. He has enjoyed being a member of the community because of its friendliness. Dr. Carter was drawn to dentistry because of his desire to impact the lives of people and be able to see immediate results from his efforts. He especially enjoys working with his patients to create beautiful smiles through a combination of state-of-the-art technique and an eye for aesthetics. Dr. Carter believes that dentistry is equal parts art and science and approaches each case with an appreciation for both. Dr. Carter says, “I enjoy designing smiles and restoring their functionality.” He also believes that every patient deserves his absolute best efforts.
Dr. Carter studied biology at Morehouse College before earning his bachelor’s degree in biology from Paine College in Augusta. He graduated from Medical College of Georgia, earning his D.M.D. degree. Dr. Carter has extensive experience operating large dental practices throughout the state of Georgia.
When Dr. Carter is not transforming smiles, he is travelling with his wife of 29 years and their two sons. His favorite place to be is on a white sandy beach listening to live music, eating good food. Dr. Carter also enjoys impacting young lives with his knowledge and experience through mentoring.
Schedule an Appointment at Dentistry of Sugar Hill
If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of the dentists at Dentistry of Sugar Hill, please call or email our practice today.