The Importance of Maintaining Dental Health
Nobody understands the importance of dental health quite like the team at Dentistry of Sugar Hill. We have seen first-hand the link between dental health and overall health and happiness. We are passionate about helping our patients enjoy lifelong oral health and overall health, from childhood into late adulthood.
Why Dental Health Matters
- Appearance – A healthy smile is more attractive than an unhealthy one. It’s a natural desire to want to project an attractive and warm smile to other people.
- Function – Maintaining dental health allows for normal chewing and speaking function.
- Confidence – A full set of teeth and attractive smile are important for confidence. Great dental health allows you to feel proud knowing your smile looks and feels its best. Dental problems like bad breath or missing teeth can be embarrassing and cause shame, anxiety and depression.
- Quality of life – Healthy teeth and gums are easier to care for than those that are diseased or decayed. Dental issues can be painful, distracting and require costly treatment that takes time away from work, school and loved ones.
- Life expectancy – Serious dental problems, like oral cancer, can be life threatening if left unnoticed or untreated.
If you need another compelling reason why dental health is essential, consider the growing body of scientific research that shows a link between dental health and overall health. Simply put, your mouth is a mirror into your general health and well-being.
Studies show that people with poor oral health are more likely to develop systemic health problems like heart disease, diabetes, cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. Women with oral health problems are more likely to deliver preterm, low-birth-weight babies.